Friday, February 5, 2010

What about those e-books, huh?

I was in Seattle last week for a wonderful vacation (just long enough for me to want to head back home), and the new Apple iPad was all over the news down there. Riding the light rail in from SeaTac, everyone had their iPhone (or one of it's ilk), their Kindle, their iPod, or their cell phone. The computers at the Seattle Public Library were packed. We're a very digital society, and though we might not be as high-tech as Seattle, there are plenty of people here in Ketchikan packing PDAs, mp3 players and e-book readers. Borrowing activity during January on our ListenAlaska downloadable audiobooks was quadruple what it was a year ago. And people have started asking about e-books.
So here's where you can help: next to this posting, just below the lovely image of Deer Mountain, is a 2-question poll. Please take a second to let us know if downloading e-books onto a reader is something you're interested in; and if you already have a reader, please tell us what kind you own.
We conducted a similar survey before we became involved with the ListenAlaska audiobook system, and we're keen to know if there's a drive in Ketchikan to move into a new format for enjoying new works by favorite authors. So thanks for your time, and your input!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to see just how pervasive digital memory has become in our everyday lives. It's like everytime I turn my head, I see something with a card slot or USB jack, haha. I guess it makes sense though, considering how much cheaper memory has become as of late...

Ahhh, who am I to complain. I can't make it through a single day without my R4 / R4i!

(Posted from NETP for R4i Nintendo DS.)

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!