Friday, September 7, 2007

Lace Style

I'm not a knitter (not having had the patience to learn this popular skill), but if I were I would make the clothes in our new book: Lace Style: traditional to innovative, 21 inspired designs to knit, by Pam Allen and Ann Budd. I usually associate knitting with the big, chunky afghans and cable-knit sweaters my grandmother used to make. But the patterns in this book are for light, draping, figure-flattering clothes. There's a lace-edged corset and a 'Katherine Hepburn cardigan' that are very shapely. A lily-of-the-valley shawl looks as light as air. Forget about thick hiking socks and knit some floral lace anklets instead. There are also patterns for some interesting accessories, like a Greta Garbo garden hat (very chic), elbow-length gloves (for a winter wedding) and leg warmers (when did those horrible things come back into fashion?). My favorite pattern in the book is perfect for a teenage girl: the featherlight lingerie dress. And while most people wouldn't be keen on sending a young girl off to school dressed in anything approximating lingerie, this dress is different. It is white and airy, and made of mohair and silk. (It reminds me of the famous Degas statue of the young dancer). The model in this book is wearing it over a tank top and leggings, and it adds a soft, beautiful look to what would otherwise be a boring outfit. And if I start learning to knit now, I might be able to make it by the time my daughter is in high school. Even I could learn to knit in a decade.

No comments: