Friday, July 30, 2010

Codeine Velvet Club

It actually took me 3-4 rounds with the new CD from Codeine Velvet Club before I took to it's overproduced sound.  It's not like I'm a big devotee of acoustic music, but there's a certain blurry feel to some of the tracks in this self-titled album.  Once I got used to it, though, I really fell in love with the fun retro sound which has a late '60s British feel to it (no surprise, since the band comes from Glasgow).  My favorite track - 'Little Sister' - has a rockin' grind to it, and an explosive sound that begs to be played in the car with the windows rolled down ('The Black Roses' has got a pounding beat also).  'Vanity Kills', which was the first single they released from the album, is a more laid-back, boozier sound.
All in all, this is an enjoyable album.  Too bad the duo of Jon Fratelli and Lou Hickey is breaking up already.  Grab this CD while you can.

No comments: