Thursday, July 3, 2008

I Think, Therefore I Am

Everybody loves physiology factoids, especially when they help to explain something about yourself that had previously seemed mysterious. Why so I yawn? Why do I shiver when I'm cold? Why do I remember my 8th-grade locker combination, but forget to pick up milk at the store? Our new book Welcome to Your Brain: why you lose your car keys but never forget how to drive and other puzzles of everyday life is just chock full of fascinating little bits of information concerning your brain - which is arguably the most important part of your anatomy. Sandra Aamodt, the editor of Nature Neuroscience, and Sam Wang, a professor of neuroscience at Princeton, team up to introduce readers to the huge complexity that is the human brain. They examine moods, memory, stroke, learning, biological clocks, aging, senses, sleep and addiction. Less of a compendium of facts than an overview of popular science topics, this book is very readable and full of 'ah-ha' moments. In fact, I challenge anyone to read this book cover to cover without sharing at least one piece of information they gleaned from the chapters. This book should present plenty of "Hey, did you know..." opportunities for anyone who is interested in how their mind (and everyone else's mind) operates. Great for science buffs, psychology and sociology interests, and even people trying to figure out how to deal with their adolescent kids.

No comments: