Saturday, November 1, 2008

Grab-n-go Audio

This morning we unveiled a brand new collection that we hope will appeal to a broad range of people: Playaway audiobooks. These lightweight, easy-to-use audiobooks are designed for listeners of all ages. They won't get tangled, like cassette tapes. They won't get scratched, like CDs, you don't have to switch sides or insert new disks. You don't have to worry about software compatibility or download speeds. It's the easiest way in the world to listen to a good book.
I don't use audiobooks because I don't have a cassette player. Don't worry - these Playaways are actually book and player in one. Run by one AAA battery (which comes included), all you need to listen is a pair of headphones. The Playaway features a standard audio jack which will fit almost all listening equipment.
I don't have headphones. We have earbuds available for purchase at the front desk for $1.
I prefer cassette audio because I don't lose my place in the story when I turn off the player. The Playaway has a bookmarking feature that automatically resumes the story where you left off. No fast-forwarding through the file, no waiting until the end of a track to turn off your player.
I don't use digital audiobooks because I don't have Internet access to download the files. These Playaway audiobooks are preloaded - all you have to do to start enjoying the story is plug in your headphones and press the power button.
I don't use audiobooks because I hate having to learn new technology. These Playaways are easier to use than your VCR (and there's no clock to set!). The power button turns the player on and off, you can control the volume with the arrow buttons, and that's all you need to do. No software, no complicated instructions, no jargon.
We're very excited about the possibilities for this new collection, which was purchased with money from the Alaska State Legislature. Thank you, Rep. Kyle Johansen, for making this new service possible!

1 comment:

Daniel said...

The Playaway books have been a hit at our library. People of all ages seem to like them, even folks who are otherwise tech challenged.

Best of luck with your collection.