Friday, April 17, 2009

Don't just listen to me...

I'm always yapping at people about books that have caught my eye, or that I think people would really enjoy reading, but I thought I would share a few patron suggestions that I have received recently:
A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin. If our library patron were stranded on a desert island, this is one of the books that he would like to have with him. Helprin examines the weaknesses of humanity with a dark sense of humor, but also has a message about the redeeming qualities of human nature.
Death: a life by George Pendle. The patron didn't actually say anything to us about this supposed autobiography of Death (his father is Satan and his mother is Sin), but since he put in an Interlibrary Loan request for other books by this author, he must have liked it.
Bangkok Haunts by John Burdett. This patron just returned from a visit to Thailand, and said that Burdett's Bangkok-based mystery series was more informative about life in Thailand than the Lonely Planet guides.
It's always interesting to see what people are reading, and what books they find so good that they can't help wanting to share them with others......

No comments: