Thursday, February 21, 2008

Have aliens abducted Patrick Buchanan?

I usually avoid political commentary books like the plague because they are never unbiased. So either the author disagrees with my politics (and who wants to read an entire book of someone telling you you're wrong?), or the author is of my political persuasion, in which case reading the book is like having someone pat me on the back for correct thinking. But the back cover of our newest book by ultra-conservative pundit and former Presidential candidate Patrick J. Buchanan grabbed my eye. According to the cover of Day of Reckoning: how hubris, ideology, and greed are tearing America apart, Buchanan explains how the era of U.S. dominance in global affairs is over; how the country is breaking down among class, culture and ethnic lines; how free trade is crippling American industry; and how "one of every six U.S. manufacturing jobs vanished under Bush". These are not statements that I would have ever predicted hearing from Buchanan. I am tempted to break my self-imposed rule and pick up this book, to read his arguments and listen to his predictions. When a regular guest on The McLaughlin Group laments that "America is today less a nation than an encampment of suspicious and hostile tribes quarreling viciously over the spoils of politics and power", you have to wonder....is he baring his soul, or just trying to sell books? Will the real Patrick Buchanan please stand up?

No comments: