Monday, June 18, 2007

Moving With Kids

By the time I graduated from high school, I had lived in 8 different towns and gone to 10 different schools. To me, moving to a new town is no big deal. My parents didn’t have any instructional book to guide them, but I think they did a pretty good job of keeping life normal for their kids. In skimming through Moving With Kids: 25 ways to ease your family’s transition to a new home, by Lori Collins Burgan, I saw that many of the tips she gives parents were things my mom and dad did. So obviously, I think they’re good ideas. Moving doesn’t have to be the biggest source of turmoil and upheaval in your life. It’s a perfect opportunity to clean house, eliminate clutter and get a fresh start on things. New friends, new neighbors, new places to explore. The #1 rule with my parents (it’s #18 in the book) is Always remember what’s most important. In other words, family is everything. Regardless of what you may leave behind in the move, your family is with you and they are the anchor in your life. When you think about it, isn’t that a good lesson for anyone to learn?

No comments: