Sunday, June 24, 2007

Stranger Than Fiction

I’ve never had a real burning desire to see a Will Ferrell movie, so I approached Stranger Than Fiction with a little trepidation. I had heard good things, though, and I love Emma Thompson, so I gave it a shot. And I really liked this film. It’s not Lawrence of Arabia, but the writing was good and the lines were funny. In fact, Zach Helm’s script is so good that I was convinced it was an adaptation of a novel. It has a lot more depth to it than your typical romantic comedy (it’s supposedly a drama, but it has the same tone and feeling as While You Were Sleeping), and the acting is well-done. Dustin Hoffman and Queen Latifah didn’t have roles they could really get their teeth into, so that was a little disappointing. But overall, I enjoyed the movie (although I have to agree with Hoffman’s character about what should be the appropriate end to the story).

No comments: